This steakhouse classic is inspired by a challenge-winning dish from the September episode of MasterChef Season 8 and was served by Blue Apron as one of their meals. The seared rump is served with oven baked potato wedges and mushrooms, glazed in tangy-sweet balsamic vinegar and a touch of butter.
Seared Steaks & Roasted Potatoes with Roasted Potatoes
- 600 g rump steak
- 250 g mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 700 g potatoes (scrubbed and cut into wedges)
- 1 bunch kale (remove stems and roughly chop the leaves)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsps creme fraiche
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- Prepare all your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to thoroughly coat. Arrange in a single layer on a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside in a warm place.
- Pat your steaks dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan, over medium-high until hot. Add the seasoned steaks and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until browned and cooked to your desired degree of doneness. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and onion to the same pan. If the pan seems dry, add a drizzle of olive oil. Cook on medium-high, without stirring, 2 – 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 2 more minutes, or until lightly browned and slightly softened. Add the vinegar and ½ cup of water (be careful, as the liquid may splatter); season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any fond from the bottom of the pan, cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has cooked off and the vegetables are coated. Turn off the heat and stir in half the butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the kale; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 – 3 minutes, or until slightly wilted. Add the remaining butter and ½ cup of water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until the kale has wilted and the water has cooked off. Transfer to a bowl; stir in the crème fraîche. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice your steak crosswise against the grain. Serve with kale, and roasted potatoes, topped with the glazed mushrooms.